This week IMPACT leaders met with the Albemarle Police Department, Addiction Recovery Systems (ARS) Clinic and Charlottesville-Albemarle Regional Jail.
We learned some the startling facts:
- There have been nearly 3,000 reported domestic violence incidents (not arrests) in the last 5 years in Albemarle County
- At least 50% of all crimes in Albemarle County involves substance abuse as a contributing factor
- 90% of women treated at the ARS Clinic have experienced some sort of trauma
- 70% of all female inmates could use substance abuse treatment at the Charlottesville-Albemarle Regional Jail; there are only 8 spots available at a time and they have trouble filling the minimum of spots because it is voluntary
- 99.9% of women in the Regional Jail’s therapeutic community program have suffered sexual trauma at some point in their lives
Please take this information and share it with your congregations, friends and family. We cannot allow this gap to continue to widen! IMPACT Research Committee will continue to deliver updates as they unfold!